Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Just a Walk in the Park

Saw the same pit bull that nearly attacked me last month. Once again, it was running loose.

This time, it was in full dash in the park down at the end of the street. Park has a walking trail that's busy from dawn until park closing time at 10 p.m. Fortunately, the loose pit bull didn't menace any of the walkers.

It did get every dog in the neighborhood barking, and that's what got my attention. And, once my attention was on full alert, I called animal control to report the loose pit bull. I made sure that they got the case number from last month's incident.

Well, I've got to hand it to animal control. They couldn't send anyone out to handle the call until 6 a.m. Which means that, if the dog attacks and injures someone, well, sorry, nothing they can do.

I'm glad that these people aren't the cops.

4 comments:

  1. I've called my Animal Control on several different occasions and this was always their response...."We won't be able to get out there till next week at least...we're short staffed....if you can capture the dog and hold it till then, we can come and get it....or you could bring it in."

    That's always the response I get. Sad, isn't it? I know they're short staffed, but this needs to change! More and more pit bull attacks are occurring and they are getting to be an epidemic. Something needs to change the status quo!!!

    We hoping to increase public awareness by doing the Walk For Victims of Pit Bulls and other Dangerous Dogs (www.walkforvictimsofpitbulls.blogspot.com)

    At least you're doing the right thing by reporting it! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jewel Jade!

      Word to the wise: If you make a report to animal control, get the case number! And, if you're making an additional report about the same dog running loose, reference the original case number in your first call.

      It gets the point across that this is a recurring problem.

      Delete
  2. Boy, can I relate to this.

    Many years ago, I was constantly charged and menaced by my neighbor's loose dog. I couldn't walk down the block or take my own dog for a walk without getting harassed by her mutt.

    I called the police and animal control constantly. She always had some excuse; "Oh, the kids left the gate open," or "the kids left the front door open....blah, blah, blah." (These excuses were lies because letting the dog loose was a way of life for her. They were loose with her standing right out there with them!!)

    Or, I would call animal control and they only had ONE truck available handling other calls. By the time they arrived, hours later, the dog was already back inside, and they couldn't do a thing, they said, unless they SAW the dog loose.

    I would get so mad, I would chase that snarling mutt right back onto its own property.

    Then, one day, a new animal control officer came to the scene. I explained to him the situation and all the BS that she was feeding the police and the other AC officers. He said, "Don't worry. I know how to handle her."

    Well, let me tell you. I don't know what he did or what he said, but her dog was never loose again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Officer probably told her that the dog would be picked up, taken to the pound, and she'd have to pay a mega-fine to get it back again. Money talks. You know what walks.

      Delete